Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Oh To Be Dangerous...

As I contemplate the next season of life, I have been faced with a great question.  Am I DANGEROUS?  Are my choices and the things I am doing changing the world and ruining the plans and desires of the evil one?  Jim Elliot has convicted me greatly through his life and his words.  The following quotes seem to be so distant from my life and yet a great desire of my soul.

"We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the Twentieth Century does not reckon with. But we are "harmless," and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle-to-the-death with principalities and powers in high places. Meekness must be had for contact with men, but brass, outspoken boldness is required to take part in the comradeship of the Cross. We are "sideliners" -- coaching and criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged. The world cannot hate us, we are too much like its own. Oh that God would make us dangerous! "

"Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road; make me a fork, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me."

How harmless am I?  Why am I on the sidelines so often?  Get in the game Jason!  I greatly desire to be that crisis man, to direct people to the King of Kings, and to change lives for eternity.  I know the fear of stepping out in faith has kept me from being the dangerous man I know I should be.  Do I not trust Him?  The book of Joshua reminds us over and over to "be strong and courageous."  Paul says that "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2nd Timothy 1:7) 

I so often feel inadequate.  Why would the God of the universe choose to use me as a crisis man?  I am so wretched at times and so impure.  How can I yet be considered for His service?  It is so easy to become crippled and stagnant when we feel inadequate or incapable.  That thinking is all about us and not about Him.  It is about my being a sinful man when it should be about His power and might.  Oh Lord make me less that You might become more.  Change my mindset that I may always look Heavenward!  Through His work on the cross we are washed clean and made worthy to be His heirs and to serve Him for eternity.  I must grab hold of this truth and rest in it.

I choose to throw off the fear and the feelings of inadequacy that hinder my service in the army of Lord of Lords.  TODAY MAKE ME DANGEROUS!  May that be said of us as the body of Christ.  The harvest is ready and our world needs the hope of Jesus Christ.  May we daily say "Here am I, SEND ME!"

Hasten your kingdom Lord!  May we be found giving our all and holding nothing back.


I'll Give (Smalltown Poets)

yesterday i lived for me
and i was so alone as i could be
then i saw you and how you give yourself away
and i want to live for you today

i'll give; i'll hold nothing
i'll give and i'll hold nothing back

my love is a lot like me
wanting nothing less than everything
but i know you're the only love that's true
and only giving makes me close to you

my hands are open, so take what you see
and i keep nothing, hold nothing back for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment