Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Surfing My Soul

I was blessed to watch the movie Soul Surfer this past week.  It is one of the best movies I have seen in some time in the secular movie world.  God was evident in the movie through Scripture and even praise songs at a church service.  I must admit I was moved to tears multiple times.  Reflecting on those tears and the movie itself has encouraged me to "surf my soul" and find the reason for those tears.  These are my discoveries....

There is a greater purpose for every trial and struggle in life.  We may not see it from close up, but in hindsight or when we view the big picture, we will see His hand in it all.  Lately I have not been seeing the big picture.  I have been confused and in a big struggle with work and relationships.  I know when I step back and look that the Lord ordained for me to be here.  I need to be the best cupbearer I can be in my job as Nehemiah was in his.  I need to have a greater measure of grace with those around me and love them as Christ so loved us.  I need to rest in His perfect plan and enjoy the journey and the growth through the struggles and the heartaches.

I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that the Lord has more for me.  This discovery comes with some regret.  I know the Lord has another season down the road in which He will greatly use me in other avenues.  I await that season with great anticipation for I know it will be one of much joy, growth, and eternal value.  It is this current season where the regret is found.  I have been given much in the ways of passions, gifts, and opportunities.  I must confess I have not made the most of any of those.  I have missed opportunities and left my passions and gifts dormant far too many times.  I must make the most of every opportunity for the harvest is ripe and as is evident in the deaths around me, life is very fleeting.

I MUST use the gifts God has given me now.  I MUST use the passions God has given me now.  Will it be hard?  Will I be tested and face adversity?  Of course, but as was repeated many times in the movie, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"  If Bethany Hamilton can lose an arm and get up again and use her passions and talents to minister to others, why can't I do the same in the face of my minor challenges? 

I am convicted to pick up my cross today, to use my every breath, my every fiber, my every idea, and every word to spread the glorious Gospel and edify the church.  May my remaining days be a fragrance of great, yet humble, service to the King.  I lay my desires, gifts, talents, and passions at your feet Lord.  Use them as You will. 

I pray this be not only my desire, but the desire of many.  The harvest is ready.  Our world needs the hope found only in Jesus Christ.  May we, like Bethany Hamilton, use our everything for His glory, and His alone.  My hand is to the plow...

One Pure and Holy Passion

Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You

Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me on magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You

To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your dicsiple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you, my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you

Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after you
To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your disciple in the truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you

Lord to know and follow hard after you
And to grow as your disciple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you

This is my ambition, my passion, and I pray a deepening obsession.  Oh Lord may all I desire be to run after the prize of knowing and serving You.  May all else fade.

To God be the glory!



No comments:

Post a Comment