Monday, November 1, 2010

Soldier, Athlete, and a Farmer? Who am I? Superman?

How can one be a soldier, athlete, and farmer all at once?  We are called to live as each of those.  We are called to submit to our commander the Lord as a soldier and to not get caught up in the snares life throws our way.  How often do I follow the wrong paths and the wrong leaders when I should be following my Lord?  We are called to follow the rules to win the prize as an athlete must.  How can we properly compete and how can we win if we are not following God's rules in His Word?  Even moreso how can we follow the rules if we do not know them?  We must become dedicated hearers and doers of the Word so that we can run the course, finish the race, and win the prize.  Finally the character of a farmer is desired.  No farmer has ever succeeded by sitting around.  We must work hard in life and in the fields of His harvest.  Our hard work in life sets an example and is our provision.  Our hard work for His Kingdom grows in importance as the day approaches when He will return.  The harvest is ready!

We must endure all and forsake all for the sake of the Gospel.  Paul reminds us that though we are chained the Gospel is never subdued.  This is evident in the story of the Philippian jailer and his family.  Paul loves to give us "trustworthy sayings."  The one he leaves us here in 2nd Timothy is one of great encouragement.

Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
we will also live with him;
if we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
he will also disown us;
if we are faithless,
he remains faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.
(vs 11-13)
 
What a promise we have as heirs of Christ.  If we die and endure with Him, we will live and reign with Him.  Perhaps the last verse stands out the most.  If we are faithless, He remains faithful.  I would be lost without this as my faith often seems like a boat on the seas tossed to and fro.  He remains faithful throughout because it is who He is.  God's character is faithfulness and he cannot disown that or go against it.  How blessed we are!

I was reminded of an old(er) song today that blesses me and gives me hope for tomorrow just as Paul's trustworthy sayings.

God sent His son, they called Him Jesus
He came to love, heal, and forgive.
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives.
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

And then one day I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain.
And then as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone!
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives!

Words: Bill & Gloria Gaither


Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness. Psalm 115:1

No comments:

Post a Comment