Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What is my motive?

Today I was challenged to consider my motives for the things I do.  1 Corinthians 10:31 commands us to do all for His glory.  What does all include?  I oft forget this even includes my growth and my battle for freedom from sin.  I fear that I have pursued these for my own desires and glory.  I think my pride often gets in the way of His glory.  I think I often think "What do I want to be seen as?" instead of seeking to truly live Matthew 5:16.  My life, even in growth and battles, must be lived solely for His glory.  In the victories, He gets the praise.  In the defeats and struggles, I still praise Him.  Psalm 79:9 reminds us that He delivers us for His name's sake and that he helps us for His glory.

Why would the God of the universe share His glory?  Perhaps this is why our growth is stunted or why we fail at overcoming ensnarement to sin.  Perhaps God is waiting for a transformation in our motives before He allows His spirit to transform us.  In Judges 7, God trimmed Gideon's army down significantly.  He did not want the Israelites to win the battle and take the glory themselves.  If they were an army of few then they would see God's hand and the glory would be His.  Again Psalm 115:1 says "Not to us, but to your name oh Lord be the glory."  We must change our motives if we desire true renewal and transformation.

How can we see God's glory?  God's glory was manifested in Jesus Christ.  Hebrews 1:1-4 paints the picture of Christ as the brightness of God's glory.  Our victories will be many when we cling to Christ, seek to be made in His image, and give Him ALL the glory.  2 Corinthians 3:16-18 reminds us that true liberty is found where the spirit of the Lord is.  When we grab onto to Christ, the veil is lifted and the Spirit brings liberty and transformation.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  Hebrews 12:1-3

Our eyes must be fixed solely on Christ and our motives solely for His glory.  Then, and only then, will we know and taste true victory and transformation.  The victory is ours in Christ.  Run the race in such a way!

This is my prayer for myself and my brothers and sisters in Christ:

Lord I confess my desires to make myself free and for growth are often so that others can see more of me. My desires have been to find my glory through freedom, growth, new relationships, and who I then would be. I confess that I have not been living Matthew 5:16. Lord I desire this change and this freedom that others might see your power over sin and that Your light alone may shine through me and into the darkness that others may come to you. Lord make that my sole motive and the true desire of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment