Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chasing the Wild Goose

"It is amazing where God will take you when you are willing to follow. Life is full of surprises when we choose mystery over security." Erwin McManus

Life constantly seems to be pitching me to and fro.  I feel at 30 that more than ever I need to rely on the God of peace to stretch His hand over my life and speak "Peace, be still" into it.  I am upset with my lack of memory.  Have I forgotten how He has granted peace in the past?  He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  That same peace that surpasses my understanding is still available today.  I am called to "be anxious in NOTHING!"  Nothing is quite inclusive if you ask me.  Careers, finances, friendships, ministry, and yes even those relationships with someone of the opposite sex are all under the scope of nothing.  More importantly they are all under the umbrella of His peace.

Why did Jesus choose to ride a donkey for His triumphant entry to Jerusalem?  If I had to make the choice I would ride the most beautiful, powerful, magnificent steed I could find.  However, when a king entered the city on stallion at that time it was for a time of war.  The significance of Jesus entering on a donkey was that it symbolized a time of peace.  Here was the Son of God riding in on a donkey to be crucified and bring peace to the world and to our lives.  Has a donkey ever been more beautiful, magnificent, and powerful?

I know following the Holy Spirit can often look like a wild goose chase.  To the world it can seem totally irresponsible, but to the God of peace it is responsible irresponsibility.  To give up the security we have and to step out into the mystery of His love, peace, and calling is our responsibility.  It is then we will find ourselves amazed, most fulfilled, and at peace.  He has, by His grace, given each of us our own unique gifts to be used for the edification of His body, the church.  Will we choose security and comfort or mystery and sacrificial service?  I fear that for too long I have not chosen the latter, but rather looked to my own comfort and thus become stagnant and luke warm of sorts. 

Romans 12 commands the use of our gifts and I know I must step out and put my faith into action.  The harvest is ready. We can not afford to wait any longer.  Opportunities stare us in the face and we allow our busy lives and selfish ambitions to distract us.  Technology has allowed us to reach many, but has also distracted us from so many opportunities to serve and grow.  As it is said "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today."  Starting today I must grab those opportunities by the horns and make the most of them for in the twinkling of an eye my time here may be through.  "Not a hoof left behind" is what my grandma and grandpa live for and desire with our family and it must be what we live for and desire for the world around us.

Reach out of your comfort and security, grab that plow of mystery and service, and don't let go.  Let's get to work and change the world for Christ. 

Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment