Thursday, August 12, 2010

Where is the modern day Paul?

As I sat studying Ephesians 3 with my good friend Bill, I could not help but return to the question of where is the modern day Paul and what would we he look like in our generation?  A man humble enough to say that he is "less than the least of all God's people." (Eph 3:7)  Here is the greatest missionary our world has ever known saying he is less than the least.  That humility brings to mind people like Jim Elliot, Billy Graham, Brother Andrew, and Mother Theresa.

Paul considered himself a servant and prisoner of the Gospel and Jesus Christ.  Paul knew better than anyone the magnitude of God's grace.  Despite the darkness of his past, God chose to love Paul, forgive him, extend to him His hand of grace, and even deem him worthy to be a servant and minister of the very Gospel that saved him.  May I be as aware of what the Gospel has done for me and thus be found on my knees in thanksgiving.  May that thanksgiving overflow to a faith of action and ministry as Paul's did.  May I be so rooted and established in this love and grace that I am able "to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that I may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."  Eph 3:18-19

Paul knew his mission was to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles and bring to light the mystery of Christ for them.  Paul was blessed to have studied and to have has so much training even before his conversion.  Even in the times he was persecuting the very people he would later preach to and fellowship with, Paul was being molded and trained by God for the works ahead.  As I reflect on that and this season of my life, I find the need to ask what is my mission and what is God doing to refine me and train me where I am at?  I must have a Kingdom mindset. 

I picture Paul as an amazing speaker and quite the stud in knowledge and stature. Even more so this quote reminds me of Paul.  "A man who lives right, and is right, has more power in his silence than another has by his words." - Phillips Brooks  Paul may have been a great speaker and a great missionary, but where would that have gotten the Gospel without his being a man of integrity and character?  His times in prison, his dealings with churches and fellow believers, and his own convictions attest to the Godliness of his character.  I truly believe Paul could have still made an impact even in silence.  Praise the Lord he also spoke and wrote the Epistles and many more were touched and changed for eternity.

As I seek to grow in my relationship and ministry as Paul, I often ponder how I can make such an impact.  Paul knew his calling was to the Gentiles.  He acknowledged that he was a prisoner of Christ for the sake of the Gentiles in Ephesians 3:1.  I am still unsure who I am a prisoner of Christ for the sake of.  I know in His time and through the passions and desires of my heart He will grant me this knowledge.  When asked how to have an impact like hers, Mother Theresa responded with four simple words, "Find your own Calcutta!"

The season between now and then often seems like winter to me.  I find myself cold to things and just wanting to sit out the time all huddled up doing nothing.  I am convicted by the story of Nehemiah.  Nehemiah had a good and secure job as cupbearer for the king.  He did his work with joy as for the Lord and not for man.  When he God laid it on his heart to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, he was saddened.  This sadness was obvious to the king because of Nehemiahs reputation for being joyful in his work.  I am quite sure that Nehemiah also went above and beyond what his job required and thus enjoyed the favor of the king.  Nehemiah went through his "winter" before his mission doing the best he could in joy right where he was at.  We must do the same and then when called, we step out in faith and with the blessings of those above and around us.  Nehemiah, because of his character and reputation, was able to have favor with the king, and when he stepped out in faith and asked the king for the time and supplies to rebuild Jerusalem, he was given everything he needed and more.  The people I serve, work for, and those who see my character today may very well be those who help me in ministry, or even who I minister to, tomorrow.  I must be faithful and thankful in my today.  He has me here for now!

May the Lord reveal to us our Calcuttas.  Until that time may we be found growing, training, and serving in joy as we, like Nehemiah, seek to be the best cupbearers we can be.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations,  for ever and ever! Amen.  Eph 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment